Ten things people say when you start up a business
If you're thinking about setting up your own business, get ready for a stream of advice, tips and questions coming your way.
Shout About London share their top ten...
1. Park Lane? Why is your office in Park Lane? Surely you should have started in a shed (that your parents own), with a phone (made out of two cups and a long piece of string)?
We’re ‘people’ people I guess. We don’t want to work from home (in a shed or otherwise). I want to be in an office full of people, so I can switch the M and N keys on their computer when I get bored.
2. Sorry? You spent HOW MUCH trademarking your name & logo? It’s not even a brand yet?
What can I say, We think big…
3. Just make sure you’re not out partying all week, business and pleasure never mix.
Only people not from Events would ever say that.
4. Keep your overheads low.
But not so low you bang your head on the roof of the shed. Despite our address at Monopoly’s summit, we’ve done a really good job with this one so far. Having friends in influential places is important in every walk of life.
5. When counting your income, remember there are three partners in the business: The two Directors and the company. Always pay all three an equal share.
This is some of the best advice we’ve ever been given. Although we’ve added the tax man as the forth partner. He’s so damn persistent.
6. Always treat the customers how you want to be treated.
I think we’re going to need bigger bed posts…
7. Why haven’t you got your titles on your business cards? Your Directors now.
I actually agree with this point now. Our next batch shall read: I’M CEO BITCH (a la Mark Zukerburg).
8. Have you got any jobs going?
Eeeeeer… Send us your CV and when we can afford to upgrade from a Boots lunch we’ll consider it (office in Park Lane after all).
9. Wow! I can’t believe no ones used that company name before.
WHY DO YOU THINK WE TRADEMARKED IT? (Please refer to point 2).
10. Social Media is so important
Well der! Course we know that. *Hastily finishes first blog*
Guest blog by Shout About London